Chaired by Professor Derek Galen & Professor Terence Stephenson
The Joint Academy of Medical Royal Colleges, Conference of Postgraduate Medical Deans (COPMeD) and Committee of General Practice Education Directors (COGPeD) Training Advisory Group (JACTAG) informs and co-ordinates policy and strategy proposals for the organisation and delivery of postgraduate medical education in the UK.
Its main responsibilities are to:
- Facilitate good communications between the three bodies
- Develop proposals, and inform policy decisions for UK wide approaches to the implementation and delivery of postgraduate medical education
- Improve the sharing of expertise, minimise duplication and develop joint approaches between the Royal Colleges, Faculties, Deaneries and other relevant organisations
- Recommend processes and time-scales for any project work plans necessary for the scheme’s implementation and the assessment of resources within the infrastructure requirements and boundaries
- Alert the Medical Programme Board and other relevant bodies of areas of best practice as well as barriers to implementation and delivery where appropriate.
The Group consists of representatives from:
- The Academy
- Centre for Workforce Intelligence
- Academy Foundation Programme Committee
- Departments of Health
JACTAG has a Quality Management Working Group looking specifically at the quality management of postgraduate medical education training programmes.
In March 2010 JACTAG produced guidance, External Advice from Medical Specialists: Models for specialty including General Practice training